SOUTH KOREA: FROM POVERTY TO PROSPERITY
1990 South Korea: from poverty to prosperity
The fact that our economy is in crisis” is everywhere: “from Moscow to most to suburbs”. The impression — not the economy need to rebuild and build anew.
Amazing example in this respect gives South Korea. About how born and developed economic strength of this country, the correspondent of “AIF” Dmitry MAKAROV speaks with the President of the South Korean company Jung-Il Professor HAN KUN SAN.
— Mr. Professor, South Korea is sometimes called one of the seven “dragons” — the most economically developed countries in Asia. However, I think it would be more appropriate to compare Korea with the mythical Phoenix, burned and risen from the ashes.
– You are right, after the war 1950-1953, the whole of Korea — and the North and South — has been completely destroyed. The fates I live in South Korea and can only talk about her. For the period less than 40 years, we have managed to lay the Foundation of the economy, the creation of which other countries took about 100 years. If by the beginning of 60-ies of South Korea was in the top ten poorest countries, today it is on the threshold to enter the top ten richest countries in the world.
– How relevant is your personal destiny to the destiny of your country?
– My father died in the bombardment during the war, and it left an imprint on my life. First of all, I realized that whatever I was to do, all my free time I would bestow the struggle for peace. Disarmament, nuclear energy and the conversion of military industries devoted to a number of my scientific research. These themes are widely discussed on the three pages of periodicals produced on my funds.
– Well, what is your main activity?
— Even now it’s hard for me to say which of them is the main. Judge for yourself, in addition to managing the company, I am the Director of the Korean Institute of human development, specialist in management, author of 10 scientific papers on a variety of issues, including international relations.
– In which sectors your invested capital?
They invested mainly in the production of food and medicine. When I created pharmaceutical production, I wanted to find effective means of helping people. At enterprises our company almost does not produce chemicals. Basically it medicines made on the basis of medicinal herbs and other natural components with extensive use of Oriental pharmacy.
– You probably did not start on the empty place. Someone’s inheritance was the basis of your current well-being?
– Not at all. I started from scratch. My family only helped me to get an education. And then work 18 hours a day seven days a week and, perhaps, special abilities of my character: if I set a goal, make sure you achieve it, whatever effort it might cost.
– What, in your opinion, explains the economic effect achieved by your country?
– A very special creation of the economic mechanism, whose essence lies in the combination routine started with a free market economy. For the first time, national planning has introduced President Park Chung-Hee. Under his leadership, South Korea has achieved initial success, but he stayed too long in power and became a dictator. In the end he was killed.
Currently we are running the 6th five year plan. In the last five years we have achieved the highest economic growth rates: on average 10% per year. While we in South Korea not strive to develop equally all sectors of the economy. Assets are mostly invested in some of the most important industries, but we strive to occupy a dominant position in the world.
These industries, among which shipbuilding and the automotive industry, electronics and a number of other benefits from the state’s strong financial support.
The entire economic development strategy is focused on the conquest of foreign markets for products and search for foreign capital to develop production at home. As a result of these measures, South Korea has become one of the first places in the world in terms of trade.
– What you just said, it is the components of success of your economy, so to speak, at the macro level. But the economy people are doing, how does the “human factor” on the progress in your country?
The Koreans, for centuries, had a thirst for knowledge: he was ready to give last shirt to have the opportunity to learn and to teach their children. But if people are educated, cultural, and economy will be at the height.
Another ingredient of our success — religious, moral education. Korean, bred in the traditions of Buddhism, won’t leave the workplace until you do all the assigned work, will not destroy the environment.